SRTM data - USGS DDS 2.0

blake
company / institution: University of Stirling

SRTM data - USGS DDS 2.0

Post by blake »

Hi at present polymer cannot access SRTM data as the USGS DDS 2.0 doesn’t support fielpaths "downloads are no longer retrieved via filepath in the URL" "Downloads must now be routed through an approved USGS application (EarthExplorer, Machine-to-Machine API, GloVis, etc." Is there a simple fix or will this need to be addressed in a future release of polymer? Thanks
fsteinmetz
Site Admin
company / institution: Hygeos

Re: SRTM data - USGS DDS 2.0

Post by fsteinmetz »

Hi Blake,
Thanks for the information, this will indeed require some fix in the future to restore the access to SRTM data.
Meanwhile, a workaround may be to download the files somehow and store them in a directory, as .hgt.zip files. The SRTM3 instance should point to this directory (SRTM3('path')). Also, a listing file "available_tiles.txt" should be present in this same directory, which I am attaching here ; please uncompress it first. I am not 100% sure it is complete though.
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
François
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blake
company / institution: University of Stirling

Re: SRTM data - USGS DDS 2.0

Post by blake »

Hi François,

Many thanks for the available tiles list.

If it help anyone else i have found a German mirror of the NASA data for planning motocycle trips :lol: that can be used to acquire the required data in the mean time. https://srtm.kurviger.de/SRTM3/index.html

Cheers
Matt