Sentinel 2 striping

dias4268
company / institution: Pusan National University

Sentinel 2 striping

Post by dias4268 »

Hello, I am a beginner using polymer algorithm.

I am applying polymer on Sentinel-2 L1C for atmospheric correction.
However I got some striping result in the water reflectance result. You can see from my snapshot
Polymer Result.PNG
I was check on the original Sentinel-2 image, the stripe were exist on the original image.
my question is, is it possible using polymer to eliminate the stripe?

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gbourdin
company / institution: University of Maine

Re: Sentinel 2 striping

Post by gbourdin »

Hello,
To my understanding, polymer does not correct for stripping but you can try a de-striping algorithm:
I have personally never tried using this type of correction but according to the example presented in the paper, it should work fairly well.
Best,
Guillaume
jan.elkassar
company / institution: Institute of Space Sciences - Freie Universität Berlin

Post by jan.elkassar »

To my knowledge the stripes are an artefact from the smile-effect that sensors like Sentinel2-MSI (or Sentinel3-OLCI) have. Its a bit different to the striping you have in e.g. MODIS images. But maybe the de-striping Guillaume proposes works there, too? I don't know why there is no official smile-correction for S2-MSI, yet. I'm not sure if it is easy to implement and correct for it, though... For OLCI Polymer has a smile correction, actually.

However, I think I heard that the smile effect of S2-MSI will be addressed soonish.
fsteinmetz
Site Admin
company / institution: Hygeos

Post by fsteinmetz »

The striping in Sentinel-2 is due to the multiple detectors with a staggered configuration : the detection angles alternate across detectors (https://sentinels.copernicus.eu/web/sen ... instrument). Of course this is particularly visible in the sun glint. Polymer can eliminate some of these effects, but the results vary, and residuals are often visible. I don't know how the method mentioned by Guillaume would apply to this case.
Cheers, François