Installation problems "make not recognized"

eli_tes
company / institution: University of Bergen

Installation problems "make not recognized"

Post by eli_tes »

Hi!

I'm having some trouble installing Polymer on my Windows 10 computer. I don't have much experience with python so that's not helping.
I installed Anaconda, and created the environment according to the Readme guide.
The next step ("make auxdata_all") doesn't work, I get this error message:
"'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."
According to google this is because I'm using windows and not linux, and I need to download gnuwin32 or something similar. Since I have very little idea what that program does and it hasn't been updated since 2006 I'm wondering how other Windows users got around this problem, or if I got something else wrong?

Thanks for your help!
fsteinmetz
Site Admin
company / institution: Hygeos

Re: Installation problems "make not recognized"

Post by fsteinmetz »

Hi,
Indeed, running the code on Windows is probably not straightforward because it requires linux-specific tools (gcc, make).
My advice would be to use WSL on windows (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/about).
It should make it possible to install make and gcc, and then anaconda inside wsl. There are probably ways to install gcc on windows, but I assume it must be more complex.
Let me know if you need further help, I could try to add some details about this procedure in the readme.
Cheers,
François
eli_tes
company / institution: University of Bergen

Re: Installation problems "make not recognized"

Post by eli_tes »

Hi François! Thank you for your help! If you have time to write some instructions, that would be great. I've installed WSL but haven't been able to install anything else, but hopefully will be able to figure out what the issue is with some intensive googling.

Cheers,

Elinor